Saturday, November 29

From pen to pan



We had a great Thanksgiving. Of course, we were up late the night before in food preparations. The DeWevers brought buttermilk biscuits, cranberry jello salad, chocolate torte (from scratch!!) and a few games to the celebration.

Next day was the main event: the Turkey Slaughter. Both of us had taken chickens through this process, but a turkey seemed slightly more complicated. So we consulted with the experts and had set the strategy with the guidance of fathers, neighbors, friends and cousins.

This turkey was not phased by much. We let him fall asleep upside down before pulling the plug. It took about an hour from start to finish and another hour for him to be fried for dinner. While not a big fan of meat nor of butchering, it sure is nice to know where the food came from. When all was said and done, however, I probably ate one mouthful of turkey... but I've never eaten much of that on Thanksgiving anyway.

1 comment:

David said...

Was it different eating it after you where able to see it alive? I think it would have tasted awesome. Mmmmmmmm...I can't wait until next Thanksgiving. I wat to have a Turducken.