Hey friends! The move was very successful, though the details are always full of stress. Ergh... We've been here 2 weeks and the house is really starting to feel like a home, rather than a refugee camp. Ugh, but what I would do for a little AC action. the house feels like a heat box... and we have to wait until after Monday to use the electricity. Motrin, ice coffee and ice cream have been wonderful crutches along the way. Each day is a new adventure. Today I visited the local DMV, post office, and Peebles (just to look around... but they were having a 4th of July sale). Today I began setting-up the kitchen. Tomorow I will finish painting the bathroom.
No businesses have contacted me about the applications that I've submitted, but I'm just impatient, that's all. Matt started working for his cousin yesterday and really likes it. I'm so proud of him--he's given all his energy to this new job/house/life endeavor. He's been very supportive of me and honest about how he feels and what he thinks. But recently we've been so tired/drained that conversations are short and sleep time is early (not much quality time, either). But this is just a part of the big picture, and I'm feeling very positive about the whole thing. His family has been a huge help, too. They've even given me lots of their garden fresh veggies to enjoy!!!
We live in a predominently afro-american neighborhood, and I laugh at my whiteness on a regular basis. Our neighbors, Robert & Bernadine, have been very friendly and welcoming. We've had to use their toilet or a borrow a small tool a couple of times, and Robert walks right-up to the back door to check in on us when he gets home from work.
I'll get some pictures and updated info onto the blog soon, but having no quality internet access available ANYWHERE has severely crippled me.
Okay. I'm done whining. I love you all and miss your encouraging, familiar faces. Enjoy this weekend, and if you take any Motrin, drink any ice coffee, or enjoy any ice cream... think of us!
5 comments:
Great to hear some news from you. Alicia enjoy your no job time to make your new house a home! I will keep in touch. Everyone here misses you and is wondering how you are doing. Keep smiling. Love, Annie
ok, so now that you're moved in--let's meet half way and catch up on life!!!
Hi Alicia, Its been quite a while since we have talked. But I was reading your blog and getting updated on your life, and just thought I would say Hi, and congratulations on the new house!! 70,000 and its SO cute!! :) You will have to post more pics as you renovate the house.
Take care!
Hey you two. :-) Glad things are going well, but I'm sorry it's so hot. Meanwhile, Berlin is a temperate 70 degrees and has been for weeks. That's why I picked this country!! :-) Love you both. Glad that Germany piggy bank is back in action.
got your card/letter. thanks, alicia. i miss you, friend. i'll write soon. xoxox
Post a Comment