Friday, August 11

Recent Thoughts: Relief from the Heat

This past week in New Hampshire has gotten a lot of people excited for Winter. With 50 degree nights (and colder ones too) we've been given a break from the heat and our mouths are watering for snowflakes already! Most of us just don't like being hot... and the middle of Summer hit us hard! Humidity made the air so thick, some days it was difficult to breath. You can imagine the moodiness at home & work. Yuck.

And it was at that time of the summer that I started my new job. When I came onto the picture, a newly appointed manager had taken 4 months to make everyone on the Village campus miserable. He side-stepped authority, ignored company policy, broke promises, and manipulated staff. Very few could walk past his door without sneering or baring their teeth! My supervisor was absolutely paranoid and stressed over the man, so my first week was like walking on egg shells--but I didn't think the situation would continue much longer. Praise God--in my second week he was fired! And the weather started to cool off. Now it's been my third week here and the entire staff is shedding the negativity like old skin. Last night, I wore wool socks and flannel pants to bed. We probably won't close the windows until October. It's windy, sunny, and the leaves aren't due to change for two months. So we'll probably get a few more weeks of heat, but bring it on! God's given us the gift of physical, emotional, and spiritual renewal. Yes, I really like this job (especially now that So-and-s0 is gone) but the things I'm learning have yet to be explained to you. Keep me in your prayers, because there's a lot that God is teaching me lately.

1 comment:

Laura Siegrist said...

alicia, i know what you mean about the cool air. today was quite cool and i wore my slippers and 2 long sleeve shirts all day! it was a glimpse of autumn and i can't wait for it to come! glad the new job has settled down a bit. i know what it feels like to have someone on staff that breaks rules and disrupts harmony like that. in the end, firing is the only option. some people don't change, even when given the chance over and over.