Tuesday, May 23

Little Italy

Last night we had some friends over for dinner and I went... where few non-Italians dare to tread:
Pasta from Scratch!
Yes, friends, and it was Gnoccis

Gnocci, also known as ghochi or even topini ("field mice") are a solid potato dumpling about 1" square. They can be served with any type of sauce, but I always stick with a marinara as it is low sugar, low fat, high flavor & very bistro-like.

Though it took longer to make from scratch, (They are typically sold in vacume-sealed plastic and cost about $3.50 for a pithy amount) they were soooo yummy. Italians considder this pasta a comfort food, as the potato is really filling. I was worried that the pasta would be too heavy, but it was so perfect. I'll need more practice to make them look as pretty as the picture here. Mine looked more like homemade dumplings.

Will I ever make them again? Yes, but only for a special occasion when I have at least four people for dinner. But I considder this a landmark occassion. Only those non-Italians who long for Rome's kitchens can understand this milestone. Ciao.

2 comments:

Elisabeth said...

yum.... I'm sure they were just as good as something we would find in a little cafe along the Appian Way. Though- they would taste even more delicious served by an extremely gorgeous Italian waiter. Well...Matt will have to do. So glad to hear the good news from up north... love you both!

ashley said...

i'm impressed. i used to roll those dang things in the bakery i worked at back home. it's a tiring and daunting task...but they taste SOO good--even with just olive oil, garlic and a little spice.