As warm weather approaches, I've seen a lot of herb talk among the blogs. Here's some well-meant advice and encouragement for potted herbs, because a dead plant is a very sad thing.
Sometimes growing potted herbs can be downright frustrating. My dad can grow anything, but I have no clue why! I've used the same nasty products (fish emulsion or bird manure anyone?) and seemingly the same tecnique, but there are obvious limits to my green thumb. Why? Who knows, but I've learned a few key points. In the case of potted herbs, the main things to remember are fresh air and infrequent watering.
Tried potting herbs in terracotta lately? Good for you, I've quit. The clay pot & I haven't quite figured eachother out yet, so I stick to a plastic option, and use the pretty ones as a cover. Or buy a nice, heavy ceramic container for when the little guys are ready, but terracotta is for Martha Steward only.
Good ones to try for your kitchen windows or porch area:
- Spearmint (ever had a Mohito? or fabulous to brew in sun tea)
- Sweet Basil (lovely with chicken and veggies on the grill)
- Greek Oregano (requires the most sunlight)
- Chives (endless choices)
Ones to avoid--and I'm not kidding!Click on the title for more info!
These just love the ground so much more than potts
- Rosemary (only in Italy, honey)
- Sage (looks great in flower beds)
- Thyme
- Dill (will come back again next summer too)
- Annise
8 comments:
Funny, this isn't displaying for me
ok, all set
hey thanks for the herb blog! i love my herbs...well, what i've got so far. i might have to put up my own 'herbal blog'! you've inspired me! look for it in a couple of days! thanks for your note...i'll update you soon. things so far are looking up!
so herbs- anything illegal???
Sorry, I have no experience to offer on those.
Ah. herbs.
i must admit i completely agree with the terra cotta thing. my terra cotta pots look terrible. i'm a fan of the faux. and, wanted to mention that i started spearmint in a pot (i've heard it's invasive in beds) and it's hardly growing. but i did buy my seeds from big lots last season. lol. we'll see...
oh, and i need your snail mail address, vern...drop me an email.
If I grow herbs.... does it mean I have to cook? I feel so undomesticated next to your other friends... John has this chive plant in the kitchen and is always dropping hints for me to use some in a salad or something...but I just forget it's there. Oh well.
Actually I enjoy growing plants and am especially proud of my African Violet and English Ivy.
so, alicia...how's life lately? when are you gonna update us? i'd love to see pics of your new apt. (hint, hint, hint) miss you...
la
Post a Comment