Sunday, January 13

So it's 2008

Has it really been 6 months since we made the move to Virginia?
Well, I must say this: even though it's funky, it's home!

I really thought going back to New England would bring back all the "home vibes," but it only drew a line between what was then and what is now. It's just different now. Our old bedrooms have been converted into storage. My high school was bulldozed and turned into the new football field. My dear friends have changed addresses and life philosophies just like me.

Kids I used to babysit are going to college and my college friends have babies. The old roads lead to new hot spots. The ice cream stands have closed, the IGA is now a spa & fitness facility. The family owned restaurant is owned by a new family. And that old building that housed struggling businesses (one after the other) is vacant again.

Life goes one. Going home was like being part of a favorite re-run, like my own Wonder Years. funny.

So I sit here listening to songs that were crucial to Plainfield High School between 1994 & 1998. Smiling, singing with Lisa Loeb. What was UCONN Huskies is now VTech Hokies. The pony tail is the same, the embarrassing last name is gone (Thank you, LORD!) but comes back to fondness when I rub shoulders with people from "back home." There it is again, the word that really means something special... and yet something else.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

miss you hork :)

ashley said...

got your letter. love hearing your updates. it's like having you right there with me. :) you should consider writing....even more.

i updated my blog and thought you might like to hear that, too ;)

more soon...